Friday, March 26, 2010

Kitchen Island Reveal!

This week I've been busting a move to get all of my furniture projects finished & moved out. We're having new garage doors installed and it looks like a warehouse in there. Here is the kitchen island!

Before:
I showed this record cabinet last week - anniversary gift from Mom.

I loved the lines of it and it was the perfect size for an island, but it was a mess! I had to gut it and there were layers of dirt in the cabinet. We're still throwing around the idea of adding a shelf for more storage..planks across the bottom...we'll see.

After:

I used Silky White Ultra from Behr. I love the Ultra line of paint!

I sanded the top - it looks like pecan..didn't want to paint over that, so I stained it Ebony. Last step, Minwax wax sealer.

I added glass knobs and a cafe rod along the back for dish towels. I love the way this looks and it's SO functional. I may add some hooks on the side but I'm going to wait and see before adding anything else. You know, live with it for a while.

I'm now working on this big old bookcase...

Happy sanding!

I'm linking to Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous, Make it for Monday at Cottage Instincts, Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch, DIY Project Parade at DIY Show Off, Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday & Thrifty Decor Chick's Before & After Party.

25 comments:

  1. OH MY that turned out SO WELL!!! I love the towel bar on the back! It's all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this. I've been looking for an antique buffet to do the same idea. But, I just haven't been able to find one. YET! You've given me hope that I'll be able to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is gorgeous!!! Love it!!! I have my eye open for a great piece like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I KNEW you would make this look incredible! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a cute little cabinet and makes a great island. I'm painting furniture too must be Spring feaver!
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this island. Great job :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!
    Wonderful re-purposing of a beautiful cabinet!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bee-You-Tee-Full! What a great project! I'm dropping by from Cottage Instincts. I hope to see you back at my place soon! until later...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice project! Looks great in your kitchen.

    Drop by AtticMag when you have time to give JaneT some advice on making a vintage bed into a bench. #81 on Met Monday.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness, I am so impressed! What a transformation!! I too enjoy working with Behr ultra. Well done!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an awesome idea!! i bet it was hard to get all that crap out of the inside, but well worth the effort. i would love to have something like this in MY kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been looking for something I could use for a small island...love what you did with this...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I am right there with you on liking the lines of that piece and it looks perfect as a kitchen island. And you know I'm a fan of the dark top with a white base. AND I love the towel bar on the back. Lots of love coming from me for this piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! Adaptive reuse is my favorite. And it's just the perfect size to add an extra landing area and storage and not interrupt flow. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous island! I love that you added the towel bar - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jennifer. I love this. I just did something very similar. I'd love your thoughts on mine. Please feel free to check it out on my blog.
    Kristine
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one of the best transformations I've seen yet. It's beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I gave you a Sunshine Award!

    http://thespeckleddog.blogspot.com/2010/04/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, my husband just linked this to his status on Facebook. He was really impressed. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kristi - GET OUT! Are you serious? I are flattered! Tell your hubs thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A pretty important functions of one's kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to accomplish related tasks including dishwashing.samsung dishwasher lc code

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a comment? Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...