Sunday, December 26, 2010

Mirror makeover & the mixer!

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I don't really enjoy cooking. There are a few things that I whip up that are pretty good but for the most part, I only cook so we don't starve not because I like it. So, it took Christmas baking to get me to finally use this beauty:

A KitchenAid mixer that was given to me by my very sweet mother-in-law a couple of years ago.  Let me just say this - making cookies with this mixer was AWESOME! One bowl, no mess..that's my kind of baking.  I can't believe I waited so long to use it!

Onto the before & after...I found this mirror at a local haunt. It was in the window for a couple of weeks and I finally stopped in to see it up close & personal.  I've been looking for a mirror for my Mom's guest room and love the shape of this one.  It is very old and had a few cracks in the wood, so I knew I'd have to paint it.

I repaired the cracks (on the four corners) & lightly sanded the whole thing.

Here it is after being painted with Dover White by Behr & glazed with Valspar Mocha.  The spot on the mirror is from aging and actually one of the reasons I really like this piece.

Love the scrolling detail.


I'll snap a picture after she hangs it with the dresser that we painted - it's looking good in there.  Now, I'm off to wrap up this Christmas weekend!

I'm linky partying with Remodelaholic - check it out.

TTFN,

5 comments:

  1. Ok, the mixer can definitely get you into trouble, just so you know...use with caution.

    The mirror is gorgeous! Did you just whip this up in your SPARE time? Does Mom know about it or will it be a surprise-she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I would do without my mixer...or what I did before the mixer. Mrs. Hicks is right though. Proceed with caution!

    I love the finish on the mirror. That is just beautiful! In the spring, I have got to step back from the sandpaper and step up to painting and glazing! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mirror! Would love to know how you fillded those cracks...I have a couple of things that I have been thinking about painting, but hadn't thought of fixing the cracks before.

    Oh - I hear you on the cooking only to not starve, but I find I use my Kitchen Aid almost every day!!! Wishing I had a Professional one most days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen...so glad you found my new blog...What a nightmare this whole process of losibg my blog has been.

    This mirror is to die for! The detail is exquisite....

    Hope your holidays were great...

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty, pretty mirror! Great job. I love the detail!
    mixer? I don't have one, but I know a few people who were dying to get one this year for Christmas. I can't believe it took you a couple of years to enjoy it! :)
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a comment? Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...